Why Choose Minimalism?

Like every lifestyle, minimalism isn't for everyone. This blog exists not to encourage others to live only on what they can fit into a suitcase, but more to share my story with others and give advice on how to incorporate minimalism more into their life. This blog is my story. Yours will be different.
In any case, these are the main reasons I became a minimalist, and perhaps if you see something that mirrors your own life, you may also want to give it a try.

1. Distractions

I get distracted incredibly easily. Even now, I hear a distant noise from my roommate's television and it's disrupting my work. If your flow is as fragile as mine, you may want to think about incorporating some minimalist aspects into your own lifestyle. With material clutter out of the way, minimalism allows space for thought and focus.

2. Time

I think a lot about time. From a very young age, I've been painfully aware of my mortality. I hear that little clock ticking in the back of my head, reminding me of the limited time I have on this planet. Reminding me of the limited time I have to create a legacy, to plant seeds in a garden I'll never get to see. I've always been painfully aware that tomorrow is not promised and that time is one of the very limited things you really can't get back, and that sense of pressing urgency to get things done pushes me. It keeps me going. That ambition is probably the most influential aspect of my life, and it's definitely one of my most valued qualities in a person. It sits in the back of my mind and influences every decision I make. Minimalism allows me to put time in where it really matters. I would much rather create something amazing for others instead of worry about what I'm going to wear in the morning. It's crazy how much time we waste when there is just too much in our lives.

3. Anxiety

Similar to the first point about distractions, I easily get overwhelmed by material objects. Living in a bustling city like Detroit, the crowds of people and things often create so much noise, it's easy to get lost. Before adapting to a more minimalist lifestyle, I felt claustrophobic in my own home. Minimalism created a space and a clarity that boosted my productivity and happiness dramatically.

4. Money

I am currently a college student. In other words, I'm broke. Money has always been a concern of mine since I was raised by an incredibly frugal (and wonderfully loving) mother. Eliminating compulsive shopping from my life, creating a mostly self-sustainable kitchen, and recycling my material goods has DRASTICALLY increased the money in my bank account. With that said, an aspect of minimalism that I take to heart is quality over quantity. If you use the same items over and over again every day, they're bound to wear and tear, so minimalism is also about finding those durable, perhaps more expensive items that will stand the test of time. Even though these items may cost more, there is less of them, and I end up spending less money, which means I have more money for coffee every morning or going out to a fancy restaurant every once and a while. The money I save with my minimalist lifestyle gives me more leniency to buy experiential goods instead.


If any of these sound familiar, or even if they don't, maybe you should give a simpler life a try.
Amanda ♥

Comments

Popular Posts