How I Avoid "Getting Bored"

More than once after I've taken others on a tour of my minimalist apartment or my capsule wardrobe, they've asked, "But don't you ever get bored?"
To some people, perhaps even the majority of people, having so few material items or such a "bland" closet could result in boredom. As a person that gets easily bored, here are a few tips to avoid that happening...

1. Bring back the classics.

Sure, my capsule wardrobe is pretty bland color-wise or pattern-wise, as it's made of only neutral colors and some hints of olive green. However, I've never gotten bored with my pieces for a few reasons. Firstly, they all go together. There is literally not a piece in my closet that doesn't "go" with almost anything else. There are so many combinations to try, and the possibilities are endless. The second reason my wardrobe is never boring is the individual elegance of the pieces themselves. Each piece is unique in it's own way, perfectly combining utility, versatility, and elegance. For instance, take this skirt and this cape dress:



Each piece is uniquely eye-catching in its own way, yet also very versatile. A good way to capture this elegance is to bring the classics back. Buy items that will never go out of trend, so you don't have to worry about making an entirely new capsule wardrobe next season and your pieces won't bore you after a couple months. This also goes for decor and other items around your home. Basic, yet classy.

2. Exchange the material for the experiential


My idea of minimalism is minimizing the material to maximize the experiential. Instead of compulsive buying a cute skirt that you may never wear, go out to eat at a fancy restaurant. Get a coffee in the morning. Do something you wouldn't normally do. My minimalist lifestyle allows me space, time, and money to do the things I really want to do. I get a coffee almost every morning. That could've never happened with my past lifestyle as my compulsive shopping would drain that portion of my finances. In this aspect, I think minimalism has made my life the opposite of boring.

3. Be very deliberate about what you surround yourself with.

Being very deliberate about what you wear, what you use, and what you surround yourself with can help establish your personal style. I like a lot of things. I geek out over a lot of things, and before I became a minimalist, that reflected in everything around me. My life was not coherently put together, and it showed in the chaos around me. I then started to surround myself with things I will permanently obsess over, and I started to develop a coherent "style". I didn't necessarily get rid of those temporary obsessions, but I only surround myself physically with what I truly love and value. That coherence and clarity is refreshing to me rather than boring.

Experiential > Material,
Amanda ♥

Comments

Popular Posts